top of page

FAQs for Mineral Rights & Royalties

Updated: Mar 18

What are my royalties worth?

LandGate offers a free third-party valuation of your mineral rights and gives you a good starting point for negotiations. However, the best way to optimize your price would be to list them on a competitive marketplace. LandGate is a free, online, and transparent marketplace for your royalties.

For example, perhaps you have received an offer to purchase your royalties, but you're concerned that they might be worth more than what the royalty buyer is offering to pay you.  And you're right. By listing your royalties for sale, you can create a competitive situation, receive multiple offers, and feel confident you are getting the best price. 

In most cases, the royalty buyers have researched available data and learned that additional wells will be drilled soon.  Additional drilling and the chance of increased oil and natural gas prices are main contributors to royalty buying activities.

What are my minerals worth? 

Get a free valuation for your mineral worth. Just find and click on your parcel. Additionally, you can also list them for sale on LandGate. It’s free. Are you receiving monthly royalty checks because you have leased your minerals? If that’s the case, then you can list your MINERALS FOR SALE at  This can result in you receiving multiple offers.   If you leased your minerals, but not yet receiving royalty checks, you can list your minerals on as Leased Minerals for Sale.  If you have not leased your minerals, you can list them for Lease or Unleased Minerals for Sale.

I bought land. Do I own the mineral rights? 

If you have purchased land, then you signed a Deed at closing. If the Seller owned all or a portion of the mineral rights, and the mineral rights were not reserved in the deed, then all the mineral rights owned by the Seller were passed to you. It is important to understand that just because there is no mineral reservation in the deed, does not mean that mineral rights were passed to you. 

The mineral rights could have been severed from the surface (mineral reservation) in a prior deed. If you want to know if your Seller owned mineral rights, you would need to contact the County Clerk in the county in which your property is located. The County Clerk will either assist you in researching property deeds or recommend a landman or abstractor to assist you.

What's the difference between an oil and gas lease bonus and a royalty payment? 

Bonus is a payment made to you at the time the lease is signed. 

Example Bonus Calculation:

  • If you own a 25% mineral interest in 640 acres

  • Then you own 160 net mineral acres (640 X 25%)

  • If the offer Is $350/net mineral acre, you will receive a Bonus check in the amount of $56,000 ($350 X 160)

Royalty is a portion of the proceeds from the sale of production paid monthly to mineral owner.

Example Royalty Calculation:

  • If you negotiated a 12.5% royalty when you signed the lease and the Operator successfully drills a well producing 500 BOPD

  • Operator sells the oil and nets $57/bbl

  • You would receive a monthly check in the amount of $106,875 (500 bbls/day x 30 days x $57 x 12.5% Royalty = $106,875/month)

How do I know if I own mineral rights? 

The best way to find out if you own minerals is to research the deed records in the County Clerk’s office in the County or Parish where the property is located. Title research can be very difficult. Often it requires the services of an experienced land professional or title abstractor. The real estate and oil and gas industries supply the majority of experienced title researchers. We recommend that you call the County Clerk’s office and ask them for a recommendation. These researchers spend the majority of their time in the County Clerk’s office and often ask the Clerk to divulge their contact information to anyone needing title research done.   

My father was receiving royalty checks when he passed. How can I now get them?  

You need to call the company who was sending your father monthly royalty checks.  If he was receiving a royalty check, those checks are mail pursuant to an oil and gas lease signed by your father or a predecessor in title.  The oil and gas lease provides that if there is any change in ownership, the Lessor (your father, and now you) are responsible for notifying the oil company.  The oil company will require documentation such as a death certificate, will, probate, etc.  And the royalty payments will be put in suspense and not released until they receive all of their required documents.

They are drilling an oil well next to my home. How come no one called me? 

If they are drilling on your land and no one called you, I see a couple issues.  First, if you owned the minerals, they would have contacted you to lease your minerals.  If no one contacted you, then there is a very good chance that you do not own the minerals.  Second, as the mineral estate is the dominant estate, mineral owners can lease their minerals to an oil company, who now has the right to enter onto your property to drill.  Basically, you can’t prevent them from drilling.

However, I have never heard of an oil company that DID NOT contact the surface owner first.  And historically, even if the surface owner does not receive a lease bonus or royalties, the oil companies should always contact the surface owner and agree to pay for roads, fences, etc. that might have been damaged.  The oil and gas lease signed by the mineral owner will require the operator to restore the surface to its original condition and pay for things such as loss of crops, etc. 

Who do I talk to about receiving royalty payments? 

If you feel you should be receiving royalty payments, then you probably leased your minerals to an oil and gas company.  You need to contact the company you leased to.  They would be referred to in the Lease as the Lessee.  Their name and address will be in the first paragraph of the Lease. 

There is a chance that they no longer own your lease.  In that case, they would have to record an Assignment of Oil and Gas Lease in the county where your minerals are located.  You should call the County Clerks office and ask for their assistance in locating the Assignment.  If they assigned your lease to another company, the name and address of that company will be shown in the first paragraph of the Assignment.


bottom of page